What has Creature Comforts Brewing Co., Athens, Ga., accomplished since becoming one of only 6,347 companies – and 51 breweries – around that world certified as B Corporations last April? It:
- Pledged to lead efforts to raise the percentage of Athens-Clarke County 3rd graders reading on grade level to 60% from 20% over the next five years
- Crested $4 million in total community impact, $1,582,214 of which were directly disbursed to local agencies through Creature Comforts' philathropic campaign, "Get Comfortable"
- Invested in local farms by:
* Partnering with and hosting the Athens Farmers Market
* Securing select ingredients from the University of Georgia's UGArgden
* Brewing a core brand, Athena, with Georgia-grown wheat.
- Earned TRUE's (Total Resource Use and Efficiency) Silver Level Certification for the company's Southern Mill facility's zero waste efforts.
- Began screening suppliers to diversify its supplier network
- Launched an Employer Volunteer Program where employees accrued 1,785.5 hours of community service last year.
"Nine years ago, we were beginning the restoration of a 1940s-era warehouse that would soon be home to Creature Comforts. We started Creature Comforts because we believe in the power of beer to bring people together and that a brewery could be a force for good. says Chris Herron, CEO of Creature Comforts.