National Beer Wholesalers Association said its Beer Purchasers' Index remained just slightly below the benchmark of 50 for the third month in a row. The At-Risk inventory comes in at an even 50.
The October results show increased ordering trends for six out of seven segments, led by a 17 point jump for premium regular. The data suggests industry consistency heading into the final months of 2023.
Looking across the segments for October:
- The index for imports continues to point to expanding volumes with October 2023 reading at 67 higher than October 2022 reading of 59.
- The craft index at 31 for October 2023 continues to signal contraction in this segment yet it is higher relative to the October 2022 reading at 23.
- The premium light index rose to 53 for October 2023 above the October 2022 reading at 45.
- The premium regular index rose to 49 for October 2023 above the October 2022 reading at 32.
- The below premium segment for October 2023 fell to 45 and is slightly lower than October 2022 reading at 47.
- The FMB/seltzer reading for October 2023 at 28 is higher than the October 2022 reading at 18.
- Finally, the cider segment posted a October reading at 35 compared to 30 for October 2022.